Yeovil and Strode College win funding
This morning the Department for Education (DfE) announced a list of colleges that had won bids for funding. This is to be provided from the Government’s £1.5 billion Further Education Capital Transformation Fund. In January colleges were invited to bid for funds to help upgrade their campuses.
The DfE announced 16 successful colleges who they will work with. Included in the sixteen are Yeovil College and Strode College (based in Street).
The money “will ensure they are excellent places to learn.” The investment is to help improve the local skillbase to ensure people can secure better jobs. Making the announcement Apprenticeships and Skills Minister Gillian Keegan said: “It is fantastic news that we are launching the next phase of this transformation programme. We will be working with a small number of colleges that are some of the most in need of support to upgrade and revitalise their estates.”
In a statement released this morning Strode College told us “The investment will be used to redevelop the oldest building on campus and incorporate new facilities. Plans for the redevelopment of the 1960s ‘A Block’ include replacing the building on a similar footprint. Facilities would include a new main entrance. this will lead to a front of house training restaurant, commercial hair & beauty salons. there will also be a new reception area for Strode Theatre. It will also accommodate creative arts space linking to the theatre,. Plus a student hub and collaborative learning space with easy access to student services. Finally a large learning resource centre zoned for various independent learning activities.”
Th full list is as follows:
- Beacon Centre, Blackburn College;
- Lansdowne Site, Bournemouth & Poole College;
- Brooksby Melton College, SMB Group;
- Ashington Campus, Education Partnership North East (Northumberland College);
- St Austell Campus, Cornwall College;
- Houghall Campus, East Durham College;
- Rochdale site, Hopwood Hall College;
- Isle of Wight College;
- Great Yarmouth Campus, East Coast College;
- Stafford site, Newcastle & Stafford College Group;
- North Lindsey College, DN College Group;
- Merrist Wood College, Activate Learning;
- Strode College;
- Parsons Walk, Wigan & Leigh College;
- Yeovil College;
- Stanmore College.